About the Festival
The Global Film Festival presents a selection of the best international, documentary and dramatic films to enrich the country’s cinematic culture and take the seventh art to all sectors of Dominican society. The Festival contributes to raising awareness and understanding of global issues through stories about events and people that have left a mark on our lives. It uses film as a way to promote and encourage discussion about social issues, politics and economics.
The mission of the Festival is to present the best international narrative and documentary films to a wide cross section of the public and to increase knowledge and awareness of global issues that face us today. An addition, it seeks to increase and strengthen film culture in the Dominican Republic as well as an interest in developing the country’s audiovisual industry. The FCG is a tool that benefits, among other areas, local and international film production in our country.
- To enrich film culture of the Dominican Republic.
- To show a wide variety of films that are generally not available to the Dominican public.
- To show films that connect with Dominican youth and at the same time, expand their appreciation of film.
- To show films that entertain as well as improve our understanding of global issues.
- To reach out to people from various sectors and social classes of society, to join together in viewing and discussing films.
- To bring modern film culture to schools of the Dominican Republic; to use film in the schools as a medium to understand global issues, create proposals and solutions and to promote individual opportunities.
- To promote the Dominican Republic within the international film industry, as a desirable and viable alternative for the industry.
- To use film to strengthen economic development of the country.
- To increase the visibility of the Dominican Republic among the international press.